Discover the art of working with stretchy fabrics like sweatshirting, French Terry, jersey, and more, as you create a wonderfully snug Christmas Jumper, all using your sewing machine!
Plus, the fun doesn’t stop there. You’ll have the choice to enhance your jumper with festive iron-on vinyl.
Browse our photo carousel for design inspiration, and select from a range of vinyl colors including red, white, green, black, or opt for a touch of sparkle with white glitter, gold, or silver.
Of course, you’re more than welcome to let your beautiful fabric take center stage without adding a design. The choice is all yours!
Sunday 19th November
10am – 5pm
If the class has sold out (the black button will say ‘Read More’) or the dates don’t suit but you are interested in taking the class, you can join the waiting list. You will be sent an email when new dates have been added to the website (or if there has been a cancellation).
You Will Learn:
- What type of needle and stitch to use for sewing with stretch fabric on a regular sewing machine
- Tips for cutting out your fabric
- How to stabilise shoulder seams
- How to insert a sleeve on the flat
- How to sew on a stretch neckband
- How to work with ribbing (if you choose to use ribbing)
- We will also discuss the pros & cons of an overlocker!
The skills you learn in this workshop will allow you to tackle most jumper/sweatshirt and t-shirt patterns! Sewing with stretch really opens up so many dressmaking possibilities.
We will be using the very popular Billie Sweatshirt pattern by Tilly & The Buttons.
There are several design options included in this pattern, but for this workshop we will be using Version 1 (see the image carousel to see the line drawings). Version 1 is a classic sweatshirt with a relaxed fit, straight sleeves and cuffs. It has endless opportunities for adding your own creative flair – such as using contrasting cuffing. Or keep it simple and classic and use your sweatshirting fabric for your cuffs, waistband and neckband (you will need to ensure you select fabric with enough stretch if you would like to do this).
The Billie pattern is drafted for sizes UK6 – UK34 (bust 30in – 60in). Please contact me before booking if you fall outside this size range.
A copy of the Billie sewing pattern for you to keep is included in the workshop cost.
You will also have the option to add a fun festive vinyl decal to your sweatshirt. See the selection of designs in the image carousel above (or if you are particularly arty and tech-savvy you are welcome to send me an SVG file of your own design to use). You will be sent further information about making your decal choice once you book onto the workshop.
You are also welcome to keep your jumper decal-free.
- a copy of the printed Billie sewing pattern (not PDF)
- use of class sewing machines (or feel free to bring your own) and all tools and equipment (including the correct sewing machine needles – even if you bring your own machine)
- stabiliser for shoulder seams (if needed)
- Tea, coffee, mince pies and Christmas tunes!
- Iron-on vinyl design of your choice (from the selection)
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING:
- 1.5 – 2.6m of sweatshirt weight fabric (more information & guidance on choosing your fabric will be emailed to you when you book)
- Cuffing, if you choose to use it
- Matching thread
- Pack lunch (or you can pop out and pick something up)
- If you are bringing your own sewing machine then please also bring your manual & don’t forget your leads, machine feet, bobbins etc!
Held in the lovely, bright and spacious Threadquarters studio! 49 Main Street, Bangor, NI. Located on the first floor.
Please click here for more details on the location and parking options.
PLEASE NOTE: The class requires a minimum of two people to go ahead.
Please check Terms & Conditions for cancellation policies.