If you are looking to expand your sewing skills and try dressmaking for the first time this one day workshop is for you!
During this workshop we will draft and sew up a gorgeous gathered skirt. The basic skirt has a flat front waistband, but elastic at the back. You get the smooth, neat look at the front, and all the comfort and ease of elastic at the back. Plus, of course there are POCKETS! You will also have the option of making the skirt in a style that suits you. Choose your length; short and sweet, knee length or midi. And if you are a speedy enough sewer then you have the option of adding an extra tiered ruffle, a very popular style at the moment. Or perhaps side splits are more for you? You could add those. Thats part of the fun of making your own clothes, you get to be the designer!
YOU WILL LEARN:
- how to correctly take your measurements
- how to draft a simple skirt pattern to your own measurements (or anyone else’s – so you’ll be able to make skirts for everyone!)
- understanding grainlines, selvedges, warp and weft
- correctly pinning a pattern and cutting your fabric
- how to sew seams and different ways of finishing seams
- the importance of interfacing and how to sew a waistband
- how to add elastic to a waistband
- how to sew inseam pockets
- how to hem a garment
- how to gather
- and lots of other important dressmaking skills such as pressing, under stitching and stitching in the ditch
For this workshop you will need to have used a sewing machine before. If you are a complete beginner then I recommend first coming along to one of my Sewing Taster Workshops – you will learn all about how to use a sewing machine and make a lovely tote bag.
If you are a young adult/teen and keen to learn how to make your own clothes you are very welcome to come to this workshop too! Get in touch if you have any questions.
- Use of all sewing tools, including threads, needles, scissors etc. You are free to use a class sewing machine, or welcome to bring your own to work on if you prefer
- Pattern paper for drafting your pattern
- Instruction sheet
- 20% discount on fabric from Threadquarters for your class project (you don’t have to purchase your fabric from me – please check out the Where To Buy Dressmaking Fabric page for details of other local and online options)
- Tea/coffee and something sweet!
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- Your own sewing machine – OR you can use one of my sewing machines. Please let me know in the comment box at check-out if you will be bringing your own machine.
- Fabric for your project: 1- 2m suitable fabric for your skirt. I’ll send through full details once you have booked your class
- Matching thread. I suggest Gutermann Sew All Thread, which is polyester.
- A notepad and pen to jot down any useful tips you might pick up!
- A packed lunch, or you could pick something up from one of the local cafes instead
Classes are held in the lovely, spacious Boom Studios (80a Main Street, Bangor, N.I.). There is lots of room to spread out and each student will have their own desk to work on. Located on the second floor but there is a lift to help with accessibility.
Classes are capped at 6 people so you will get lots of 1-to-1 time with the tutor.
PLEASE NOTE: The class requires a minimum of two people to go ahead.
Saturday 23rd October 10am – 4.30pm
Please check Terms & Conditions for cancellation policies.