*** Please read the Covid-19 Safety Measures that have been put in place***
In this 3 hour workshop I will introduce you to the wonders of sewing with stretchy fabric (often called knit or jersey fabric) on your sewing machine! You find out that it’s nowhere near as tricky as you might think and you will be hooked in no time.
This class is aimed at people who know how to use a sewing machine and may have already sewn various clothes, but would like to take things to the next level and try sewing with knit fabric.
*If you would like to learn how to use an overlocker I have a separate workshop for that*
First we will cover all the basics you need for sewing with stretch, including which needles to use, which stitches work best – and why. I’ll also cover how to work out the percentage of stretch, how to pick the right type of pattern and the different type of stretch fabrics out there. Once you have had a little practice sewing a few seams, we will move on to sewing up a beautiful relaxed fit knit top.
This is an informal workshop, with small numbers (4 max), so you will get lots of one-to-one tuition and attention. Classes are held in my own home and you are welcome to bring your own sewing machine or use one of the class machines.
Please be aware that I live with 2 cats. They will not be in the house during the classes but I wanted to make you aware incase you may have allergies.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- the correct needles and stitches needed for sewing with stretch
- how to pick the right fabric and patterns for stretch
- how to work out the percentage of stretch
- how to use a twin needle
- how to sew up a knit fabric garment
- how to insert a sleeve on the flat
We will be making up one of my absolute FAVOURITE t-shirt patterns, the Mandy Boat Tee by Tessuti Patterns. This is a boxy top with dropped shoulders and a boat neck. It has optional three-quarter or full length sleeves. It is a relaxed and easy to wear top, a real wardrobe staple.
This is a free downloadable pattern from the Tessuti website. Full instructions for the pattern can be found there. For this class, you will be provided with an A0 print out of your pattern, the cost of which is included in the workshop price.
Check out the hashtag #MandyBoatTee on Instagram to see over 1000 examples of this versatile pattern!
This pattern is drafted for sizes
Bust 81cm/30in, Waist 69cm/27in, Hips 91cm/35in
Bust 116cm/45in, Waist 104cm/40in, Hips 126cm/49in
If you fall outside these measurements please get in touch first as I may be able to grade the pattern for you.
The Mandy Boat Tee can be made in either a viscose or cotton jersey fabric. If you have never sewn with jersey then I HIGHLY recommend using a cotton jersey. The samples for this class (in the photos) are all made with cotton jersey.
*Fabric needs to be purchased, washed and ironed prior to the class.*
Students receieve 20% off the cost of fabric from Threadquarters for this workshop – a discount code will be included in your Welcome email when you book.
If you need suggestions for other places to buy your fabric from please check out this page.
- Your own copy of the printed Mandy Boat Tee pattern pieces
- Use of the class sewing machines – or bring your own.
- Use of all sewing tools, including threads, needles, scissors etc.
- Tea/coffee and something sweet!
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- Your own sewing machine – OR you can use one of my sewing machines. Please let me know in the comment box at check-out if you will be bringing your own machine.
- Fabric for your project:
- 1.1m – 1.5m, depending on fabric widths, sleeve lengths and the size you are making. You can find the size chart here. Please get in touch if you are in any doubt as to how much fabric to buy.
- See above for fabric recommendations.
- Two 100m spools of matching thread. I suggest Gutermann Sew All Thread, which is polyester. (You will need two spools when you use the twin needle)
- A notepad and pen to jot down any useful tips you might pick up!
Tuesday 10th November 2020 6.30 – 9.30pm
Saturday 19th December 2020 10am – 1pm
Please email or contact me via Facebook if you would like to take this workshop but find it fully booked – If there is enough interest I can schedule more. Thanks!