*** Please read the Covid-19 Safety Measures that have been put in place***
In this 3.5 hour workshop we will get to grips with using your overlocker – FINALLY!
Has your overlocker been sitting in it’s box for years because you are too scared to use it? Well now is the time to get it out, dust it off and learn how to use it. When I got my overlocker it was a total game changer for my sewing. Not only does it give the seam allowances of your makes a professional finish, and ensures that they last longer, but it also means that you can sew up t-shirts, leggings, jumpers and more, at lightening fast speed! Trust me, once you learn how to use your overlocker properly, you will never look back.
This class will cover all the basics for using your overlocker – see below for full details.
Once we have worked on how to use your overlocker and sewn many practice seams, we will move on to sewing up a beautiful relaxed fit knit top.
This is an informal workshop, with small numbers (2 max), so you will get lots of one-to-one tuition and attention. Classes are held in my own home.
Please be aware that I live with 2 cats. They will not be in the house during the classes but I wanted to make you aware incase you may have allergies.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- how to thread your overlocker
- troubleshooting – how to fix the tension
- how to adjust your machine for different fabric types (and avoid the dreaded lettuce seam!)
- how to start and finish off your seams
- how to disengage your knife
- how to overlock a concave and convex curved edge
- how to overlock inside and outside corners
- how to sew a rolled hem
- how to construct a t-shirt on the overlocker
- how to use a twin needle on a regular sewing machine
We will be making up one of my absolute FAVOURITE t-shirt patterns, the Mandy Boat Tee by Tessuti Patterns. This is a boxy top with dropped shoulders and a boat neck. It has optional three-quarter or full length sleeves. It is a relaxed and easy to wear top, a real wardrobe staple.
Due to the construction method of the Mandy, some of the sewing will be done on the class sewing machines.
This is a free downloadable pattern from the Tessuti website. Full instructions for the pattern can be found there. For this class, you will be provided with an A0 print out of your pattern, the cost of which is included in the workshop price.
Check out the hashtag #MandyBoatTee on Instagram to see over 1000 examples of this versatile pattern!
This pattern is drafted for sizes
Bust 81cm/30in, Waist 69cm/27in, Hips 91cm/35in
Bust 116cm/45in, Waist 104cm/40in, Hips 126cm/49in
If you fall outside these measurements please get in touch first as I may be able to grade the pattern for you.
The Mandy Boat Tee can be made in either a viscose or cotton jersey fabric. If you have never sewn with jersey then I HIGHLY recommend using a cotton jersey. The samples for this class (in the photos) are all made with cotton jersey.
*Fabric needs to be purchased, washed and ironed prior to the class.*
Students receieve 20% off the cost of fabric from Threadquarters for this workshop – a discount code will be included in your Welcome email when you book.
If you need suggestions for other places to buy your fabric from please check out this page.
- Your own copy of the printed Mandy Boat Tee pattern pieces
- Use of the class sewing machines – or bring your own.
- Use of all sewing tools
- Tea/coffee and something sweet!
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- Your own overlocker – OR I do have one overlocker that you can use. Please contact me prior to booking to see if this machine is still available.
- If you bring your own overlocker please remember the foot pedal and instruction manual.
- Thread for your overlocker. This can either match the fabric you have chosen for your Mandy Boat Tee, or I often sew with pale grey thread as I find it blends well with most colours.
- Fabric for your project:
- 1.1m – 1.5m, depending on fabric widths, sleeve lengths and the size you are making. You can find the size chart here. Please get in touch if you are in any doubt as to how much fabric to buy.
- See above for fabric recommendations.
- Two 100m spools of matching thread. I suggest Gutermann Sew All Thread, which is polyester. (You will need two spools when you use the twin needle)
- A notepad and pen to jot down any useful tips you might pick up!
Saturday 21st November 2020 10am – 1.30pm
Tuesday 24th November 2020 6.00 – 9.30pm
Please email or contact me via Facebook if you would like to take this workshop but find it fully booked – If there is enough interest I can schedule more. Thanks!