In these one-to-one beginners sewing classes we can tailor your learning to your own needs, go at your own speed and together choose a suitable first project or garment.
Classes are 2 hrs each.
Here is an example of what we would cover in an absolute beginners class:
- Learning about the various aspects of the sewing machine
- How to wind a bobbin (and perhaps learn what a bobbin is!)
- Inserting a sewing machine needle and threading it
- Using the handwheel
- How to do a simple straight stitch, and a useful zig zag stitch
- How to sew corners and around curves
- How to sew a simple seam and how edges can be finished off
- Introduction to a sewing pattern
From there the world is your oyster!
After get to grips with the basics of the sewing machine, or if you have already used a machine in the past, we can look at what type of project you might like to tackle. We could start off small with a tote bag or pencil case, or perhaps dive into something meatier like P.J. bottoms, a shift top or gathered skirt.
Classes are held in my home in Ballyholme and are generally in the mornings between 10-12. If you would prefer evening classes then I’m sure we could arrange a suitable schedule.
Classes are £50 per 2 hrs.
As a guidance, I would suggest that to complete a garment you would need 2 – 4 sessions, depending on your level of skill and how fast you progress.
If you have a friend who would like to do the class with you, I can offer a reduced rate of £90 per 2hrs, per pair. Please get in touch if this might be of interest.
If you think one-to-one classes are for you then please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss what you might be after and tailor the perfect class for you.